My first alternative investment

annstalnaker

I'm not sure if wine is considered a collectable, but figured this is the best place to post because it's definitely not real estate or a startup!
I'm a bit of a wine snob, so the idea of investing in wine has always been appealing to me. I know what wines are valuable and what to look for, but getting access to those wines before it's too late is hard for somebody like me so I've been using Vinovest and Vint.

Vinovest is great for anyone that wants to be active with their wine investments, but that gets to be kind of a lot even for me.

Vint, on the other hand, is great because I know which collections I like but don't have to be involved with timing the market on when to buy and sell. They've been releasing a ton of new collections lately and the investment minimums are pretty small so it doesn't have to be a huge decision on which ones to invest in.
From what I know about wine, it's really hard to go wrong with any of the offerings on Vint. I'm sure some won't perform as well as expected, but I think it will be hard to lose money on them.

perryjordan

Sounds like you have the right idea @annstalnaker Wine is something you really have to do your homework on before investing so it makes sense to leave the decisions on which wines to buy and when to sell to the experts. Similar to investing in a quality ETF instead of just guessing on stocks.

annstalnaker

Sounds like you have the right idea @annstalnaker Wine is something you really have to do your homework on before investing so it makes sense to leave the decisions on which wines to buy and when to sell to the experts. Similar to investing in a quality ETF instead of just guessing on stocks.
Thanks @perryjordan! I've actually been having a lot of fun with it. I've been going online to check current prices of wines in my collections and pretty much all of them have either gone up or have been stable. I actually haven't seen many wines at all that have gone down in value. Not by much at least, or for very long.